Saturday, July 28, 2012

Is it just me, or do all readers gravitate towards a certain genre over any others? A sort of magnetic core drawing the lodestone of the mind, if you will.

I've been a reader ever since I was small and for all that time my main interest has been fantasy--Tamora Pierce and Garth Nix and at some point I read Tolkien too (a rite of passage for fantasy readers, is it not?). I'd fall for anything with a dragon or elf or majestic hero on the front. Which probably means I've read the exact same story, with very slight changes in plot and character and the texture of the dragon's scales, perhaps a zillion times. And still I'm all right with that.

Science fiction, on the other hand, was never all that exciting for me. It should be exciting, what with the laser pistols and crazy space life and warp drives, but somehow, no. It wasn't for lack of trying, but I just couldn't get through A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle, though Star Wars was fine by me.

Other genres, like horror and mystery, have never really even crossed my mind.

And why is that? Maybe I was born that way. Surely I'm not the only one who could merrily drown in one genre but not much care if another threw me a life preserver.

Oh well. Back to my book with the two majestically-armored heroes riding black and flaming horses through a bleak yet fantastical desert.

No comments:

Post a Comment